A Century of Success
(The article below was published in the Westchester Business Journal on April 20, 2015. Byline is mine)
Even in 2015, there is still a debate about exactly where higher education’s history began. Regardless of whether it was in France, England, or Italy, historians agree that it began around the 13th century. The methods to teach have changed since then, but the core values remain the same. One institution that has contributed to the Higher Education history in New York is definitely The College of Westchester.
The history began in 1915 when CW opened its doors in September 7th bringing education closer to home for hundreds. Back in the day, CW was called Westchester Commercial School, then Westchester Business School, then The Westchester Business Institute, and since 2003, The College of Westchester. Mary Beth Del Balzo, current president and CEO of CW offered, “Historical paperwork tells us the school was started with a strong teaching staff to offer the finest training.”
It’s hard to summarize 100 years in one article, but highlighting important milestones that occurred along the way that eventually shaped the CW of today, will be an amazing journey:
- 1915 – Westchester Commercial School was founded in New Rochelle, NY.
- 1959 – Expanded and moved to 16 Bank Street, White Plains.
- 1966 – Data processing is authorized through Automation Institute – C.E.I.R. IBM Automation and Computer Programming courses are offered.
- 1973 – Accredited and firmly established as The Westchester Business Institute (WBI).
- 1975 – NYS Board of Regents authorized WBI to offer the Associate in Occupational Studies (AOS) Degree.
- 1985 – The college moves from Bank Street to 325 Central Avenue, White Plains.
- 1997 – Authorization granted to offer the Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree in Multimedia Development and Management (now Digital Media) and Computer Networking Administration.
- 2005 – The College of Westchester Charitable Foundation (CWCF) was established, providing grant and scholarship opportunities.
- 2008 – Authorization granted to offer the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree in Business Administration.
- 2010 – Authorization granted to offer the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree in Accounting.
- 2011 – Authorization granted to offer the Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) degree, in Business Administration and Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree in Business Administration Management/Marketing in fully online format.
- 2014 – Authorization was granted to offer the Bachelor of Business Administration Degree (BBA), in Health Care Administration.
After 100 years of higher education, The College of Westchester embraces its rich history while evolving to meet the unique needs of today’s diverse community. During the past century, thousands and thousands of CW graduates have graced the halls of virtually every company and organization in Westchester, Rockland, Manhattan, Putnam, Bronx and Orange Counties and surrounding areas. Thousands of success stories, tens of thousands of families whose lives were made better by CW’s graduates’ choice to attend college, persist, work hard, graduate and find employment. Del Balzo added, “CW was started to help prepare individuals for careers that can help enrich their lives, that mission remains true today.”
Located in White Plains, CW is a bachelor degree granting private college. For more information call 914-831-0200 or visit www.cw.edu
So, what do you think ?